Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Long Awaited Photos

Here finally are some of the long awaited promised photos. These first are from my semi-disastrous art class that I taught on the second day of class. First exercise was "I am emotion" and "I like _______". The pictures were supposed to depict them doing these things and feeling that emotion, but that didn't quite pan out. Some pretty pictures though.

Seeing the limitations of their English, I tried to teach them a basic lesson: conjugation of the verb "to be." Boy that was a disaster. They really did not want English lessons, because, as I later discovered it was not an English class, but an art one. Ah. Well, then I tried to teach some comics based lessons. As an example of sequential art, I drew a brief story on the board of me coming to Nablus. The first panel shows me boarding a plane, the second panel the plane in the air, and the third me arriving in Nablus. Simple enough, I thought. Instead, I got about 7 versions of this:



They all drew people getting on planes! Not the creative outpouring I was looking for. I did however elicit this striking image, making this class (the only one I taught) quite worth it:


No comments:

Post a Comment